Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sepia Saturday: Family and friends


Sepia Saturday's theme this week had me searching through the albums looking for trios. It's been an interesting exercise working out the relationships and who the photographer might have been.

All of the photos below are from the Sims family album, and were taken in the 1920s probably. Chas, Edie, Annie and Elv Sims (and their other siblings) lived in a little town called Mitiamo in north-central Victoria. Their father owned a very busy general store in the town and it was probably an agency for film and developing.

Maybe this photo was taken by Annie Sims. It's of her two sisters and her future husband. Did she ask the women to hold their hands like that? And again, in the second photo probably taken on the same day - same handclasp. I wonder which of the siblings most often remembered to get the camera out of the cupboard, posed the friends and family members, sent the film away to be developed? Did dad pay for the developing?

Two sisters, Elv and Edie Sims, and their brother-in-law, Roy Phelan
Elv and Edie Sims with a friend
Edie Sims with her brother Chas Sims (right) and her future brother-in-law Les Twigg (left)
Sisters, Elv and Annie Sims, with Olive Phelan. I can't place the venue. Maybe it's Bendigo or Melbourne.
Annie Sims (centre) with friends
Elv Sims with fiends.
Elv and Edie Sims with unknown friend (centre)

19 comments:

  1. I had some threesomes photos but decided to go with my first instinct.
    The handclasps are interesting, consistent and seem quite deliberate. I don't think I've noticed it before but will look out for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series of family photos. Those girls certainly liked to be photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the handclasp thing had some traditional meaning for the Sims family that you just haven't been told about? The complicated version in the second last photograph is particularly intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hand-holding, hand-clasping is very interesting -- I've never seen it before. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great collection of threesomes. I like the three girls on the wall especially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all wonderful photos, but my favourites are the second and third because there is such a natural quality about them. I like the fact that not all three are looking straight at the camera. Lovely to have these in a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ask those same questions. Who took this? Why? What color is that hat? Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice group of photos. The hand positions seem unusual. I bet they were trying to avoid the look of the dangling arms of the unknown friend in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the first time a handclasp has been highlighted as far as I know; how interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the handclasp thing is how young women were often told to stand like that...decorum and all that:-) Lots of great photos and everyone having a good time despite the formality of the handclasp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find the last photograph particularly interesting, I think the two sisters have used the same pattern to make their outfits. And I wondered about the black blob on the shoulder of the right hand lady. Have come to the conclusion that it's one of those fox furs. You can see the cord lying across the base of her neck, I'm glad they went out of fashion !

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my family, photos are usually taken by one person --- the one most interested in the camera ---and if that person isn't around --- well, not so many pics. I wonder if that is the way with this family, considering that Elva and Edie are in most of the pics. Just a thought that struck me. Great set of threesoms.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hendclasps, in one form or another, endured for quite a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, now this is what I call happy! They sure are enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the next-to-the-last picture with interlocking arms. They look like a pretzel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great collection of 'Threesomes' with so many facets to explore. The clasp hands and linking arms are still today a natural instinct to show friendship and that special bond between family members in front of the camera. With that said, it appears that the Sims family were a friendly and loving group.

    Thanks for visiting my blog on my return to Sepia Saturday. Nice to meet another Number One...I agree that the older we get the less difference age plays between siblings.

    Sue CollectInTexasGal~Today's Post~
    Older Sister Syndrome~Sepia SAT Sibling 3Some

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of trios here. I love the fashions then especially the hats.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The handclasp makes me think of someone about to break into song or perhaps entertain us with elocution.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice series!!
    Good to see people playful enough to pose for a photograph.
    I come from a family of reluctant subjects, including myself...
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments. Thankyou for your interest.

Lorraine

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...